Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Odd experience around a recent academic conference:

Two apparently successful (tenured) profs were very dissatisfied with their work, with one thinking of moving into admin so that they could have a more limited workweek, and the other one thinking back to their days at an editing job and wondering when they could have weekends off again.

Also, somewhat oddly, the one suggested I get a 2nd Ph.D. in the area, and the other one asked me why I wasn't a professor (a question that came up from someone else at the conference, too, after my very successful research presentation).

The latter one was very nice but they even seemed a bit jealous that I had control of my workweek and could do what I want, and they mentioned how in the country that they came from, the poor economy was forcing people around our age to rediscover the joys of simple jobs like with the elderly and in farming (with the organic movement also helping the farming path along).

Overall, when I was around the academics, I found myself self-censoring, to avoid saying that I keep a 16 hour-a-week research-and-writing regimen.  My hunch is that that's more than most of them can keep up, and why go around and spark unnecessary jealousies.

No comments: