Thursday, November 25, 2021

Interesting resthome political discovery:

So, it turns out that my one (Chinese-heritage) (Filipina) coworker follows news stories around the Chinese government and their ambitions, and she's very, very wary of them.

The other week, she asked me if I had heard how they were asking citizens to stock up on food.

She also was saying that she always wanted to visit Hong Kong and maybe even work there, but not any more, and now she wouldn't set foot in it.

I was telling her that their cyber-censorship and censorship of artists freaked me out, and how they've started doing anti-gay stuff and solidifying a personality cult around their leader, and how they have their social media apps where they can go in and monitor what people are doing.

"Of course they do," she was like.

I said that it was a mistake to ship U.S. manufacturing to China, not because all trade with other countries is bad, but because you're giving them more power over us, and you could tell right away from the way she looked that she didn't disagree.

No comments: