Monday, October 4, 2021

Resthome anecdotes (2 of 2): Surprise.

Also last month at the resthome, this one resident got back from the hospital, and so she temporarily had some (new) private aide there in her room 24/7 to help her.

And, the next time that I worked after she got back, that resident was on my list, and her aide called for assistance.

When I knocked and opened the door, the aide was (Filipina), and she saw me and was like, "You're a white guy."

. . .

(It was interesting; I told this to coworkers who were [Tibetan], [Nigerian], [Mexican], and [Filipino], and none got that she had said that because of how female and non-white the profession is, but the one [Mexican-American] frontdesk worker got what she meant right away, as did the one resident who's a retired school nurse... Maybe it's a race and sex perception thing that you have to be [native-born] [American] to get.)

No comments: