Sunday, August 1, 2021

Dead microwave.

So, my microwave died in late spring.

I noticed a few times like right before it broke down that there was this burning smell when I went to go microwave something, and then I noticed that the cord was frayed like right above the plug, I suspect from maybe when I was cleaning and moved the cabinet on which the microwave sits, and maybe it jammed against the wall at a certain angle or something like that, and so the cord got ruined.

So, I tried to straighten out the cord, however slightly.

Then, the next time I went to go microwave something, there was like this "POP!" and a very sharp smell of something burning like something major had shorted out, and that was that, though I made sure to go get a towel and have that between my hands and the microwave cord when I went to go unplug the microwave for the final time.

I thought about maybe seeing about fixing it, but I didn't think it was worth it; I got that little microwave from my grandparents and it's very, very old, though that also makes me kind of sad, that it couldn't last forever like the little floor rug push broom and the little 1950s red-and-white plastic broom-and-dustpan set that I had also gotten from them, too, years ago, back when I was gathering things to set myself up in an apartment.

I also looked into buying a microwave off of my one assisted living client with disabilities's (lesbian) sister before they moved, but it was put way back in her storage unit and she couldn't get it out and I couldn't be there the day they moved, so that didn't happen, either.

Instead, I've just been using a stove top pot to reheat food that I eat, and if I have pasta or something like that that wouldn't reheat too well in a pot, I just eat it cold, instead.

It's actually kind of surprising how easy it is to live without a microwave. I wouldn't have thought!

No comments: