Thursday, April 29, 2021

On (Tibetan) frames of reference.

Like this past week at the resthome, I bumped into my one (male) (Tibetan) (ex-)coworker's sister, who's a nurse in a different division, and since we were both getting onto shift at the same time and were synched up with our schedules for our temperature checks and whatnot for Covid protocols, I took the opportunity to check in and chat with her as we went through the routine, like I always do with any of my coworkers (they're so nice!).

And, she said her family was fine, but then she shook her head and was like, "But Covid is so bad in India right now."

. . .

(Even though I categorize many of my coworkers as [Tibetan], for the most part their primary frame of reference in terms of countries is actually India, since that's where a ton of [Tibetan] refugees ended up and started families.)

No comments: