Thursday, April 22, 2021

My mother on cell phones.

To wrap up my uncle’s estate, my mother has started using a cell phone for the first time, his one.

The other week she was all proud of herself and was like, “I know how to text now, and I can even put those faces in there, what do you call them, emojis” (she pronounced it "emo-jays").

Then she said that she was texting her best friend and had told her this, and she added some clapping hands.

“Why that?”, I was like.

“Because I did a good job,” she was like.

She then said her best friend texted her, “Isn’t this fun?”, and she texted her back and was like, “No.”

. . .

My one (half British) (half Sudanese) friend (the brother of the brother-sister pair) told me that he finds it fascinating how older people use social media, since it turns out that the platforms are open to other uses that other people just don’t do, but these people don’t know it and so they go and do it anyways.

Like, someone he knows or someone known to someone he knows had this grandmother or mother or whoever who joined Facebook, then they friended their daughter or granddaughter or whoever and went through all of their posts and “Liked” every single one, just "Like," "Like," "Like," over and over and over.

No comments: