Monday, November 23, 2020

Farewell to a coworker.

The other day my one (edgy) (Ethiopian) coworker said that my one (cool) (Muslim) (Ethiopian) coworker quit, and she wouldn't say why at first, but when I pressed her she said that she said something about having to take care of her aunt.

"Or maybe her husband earns more money and she can stay home?", I was like.

"She have no husband," she's like, and then when I press her, she says that she never presses for information about anyone's personal life, they usually talk about other things, but she doesn't have a husband.

"But she told me she has a husband," I was like, and I was thinking back to her stories about how he's tried to cook and he burns food and you could tell from her face that she thinks it's cute.

"She say that, but it not, in their culture, you are married, or nothing," she was like.

She then asked me who he was and if he lived here, and I said that I thought he did, since he has a lab job at a hospital in a nearby city, and that I thought that they lived together.

"No," she was like, "They can't."

She then said that some nights when she didn't want a ride home after work there was some guy picking her up, and she asked her who he was, a boyfriend, and she told her, "No, a friend."

Now I wonder if I should have looked for a ring, if (Ethiopian) (Muslims) even do that.

No comments: