Sunday, November 22, 2020

4 scenes from the resthome:

1) For my one (white) (townie) coworker who likes to doodle and sketch, I pin up a drawing puzzle on the notice board in our office so she can pick it up the next time she's on shift, since I had been telling her about those type of puzzles from the puzzle magazine that I subscribe to and I had said I'd leave one for her the next time I worked, since I thought she'd like them and she should try one out.

2) My one (edgy) (Ethiopian) coworker asks me why I don't want to work extra shifts like 6 days a week or like 50 or 60 hours, and I say I'd rather have time than money, and she says she'd rather have money than time.  She also adds that she has to send money home when she can, and she asks me if I support my family.

3) An older resident who likes to tell jokes bought us all ice cream from Dairy Queen, as a thank-you for how hard we're trying to make things easier for them during the pandemic.  I ask for a second one from the box of Blizzards that he had brought in, and he's like, "Sure!".  When we're talking, we get on the subject of how he's originally from New York City, and I ask him how he met his (dead) wife; in the 1950s, he went to a singles camp with a friend, kind of like a Catskills things but for singles and in Connecticut, and at limbo night the second week they're there he starts talking with a girl behind him and they hit it off, and when he encourages her to go under the bar, he touches her butt.

4) The (shorter) (youngish) (Mexican-American) activities director lets me print out a few short things in his office, to save me a trip to the public library and exposure to any germs there.

No comments: