Saturday, October 3, 2020

A pleasant day of resthome interactions:

1) The one resident who's a retired nurse and I were talking about the presidential debate, and I asked her what she thought of Joe Biden saying n'shallah, and she said that she hadn't caught that and wasn't aware of the phrase, so I had to explain it to her, and then I also said that I had read that people were impressed because he had used it in this particularly appropriate sarcastic way that you hear, like if you're growing up and you ask your (Arab-American) mom when the family is going to Disney World.

"Oh, like 'in your dreams'?", she was like.

She also had ordered a bin of specialty popcorn to distribute to all of the different staff in all of the different departments, since she doesn't like to do Christmas presents, but does Halloween presents instead.

But, she ordered some candy corn-flavored popcorn just to try it, and she saved it to open up with me so we could both try it at the same time.

2) The one (black) kitchen manager said she can't wait for the Kamala Harris - Mike Pence debate.

"She is going to eat him alive!", she kept saying.

Later, I bumped into her having the same conversation with this one (cool) (black) private aide who I regularly chit-chat with about politics.

"She is going to eat him alive!", the one kitchen manger was telling her.

"And you know that she's going to go after Trump, too," the one personal aide was like.

"Yes, she'll eat them both alive!", the one kitchen manager was like.

3) As I was clocking out and going to use the desktop computers in the library like they let me do now, the one (older) (gay) (Polish-American) front desk worker was like, "Isn't this a great place to work? Other places probably wouldn't let you do that."

"Yes," I was like, and I told him too how after dinner that night the one (super nice) (Togolese) kitchen worker wrapped up for me a piece of vegetable lasagna and some beet salad that was leftover from the staff meal and would have been tossed out into the trash.

"Yeah, other places, they probably wouldn't let you do that," he was like.

"Yeah," I was like, "It gets into too many problems of people overcooking and putting it aside for themselves and stealing from the place," though I made sure to say that that wasn't what was happening here, because it wasn't, it was people not eating their staff meal and those plates would have been thrown out if they hadn't've been given to me.

"Or they're worried that you'll get food poisoning and sue," he was like.

He then said that he used to work for a mobile home construction firm and they used to let people take home scraps, until one day a bunch of new two-by-fours "accidentally" ended up in the dumpster.

No comments: