Monday, September 7, 2020

Two (Ethiopian) coworkers on 45.

This past Friday at the resthome, I came into the office towards the end of shift, and my one (edgy) (Ethiopian) coworker and my one (cool) (Muslim) (Ethiopian) coworker were sitting by the one desktop computer that we have in there.

"Did you see this?", my one (edgy) (Ethiopian) coworker was like, gesturing to some newssite that she had up on screen. "What is 'soccer'?".

"It's football," I was like.

"No," she was like, and she changed her pronunciation of the vowel a few times, trying to convey something, so that I eventually realized that she was saying 'sucker.'

"It's like someone who's stupid," I was like, "Like if you sell a person something expensive and trick them about quality and you get their money."

"Oh," my one (edgy) (Ethiopian) coworker was like, then she was like, "I tell you, this man is stupid, you look, I think there is something wrong with him."

"He only understands money," I was like, "He can't understand the military."

"Stupid," my one (edge) (Ethiopian) coworker was like.

And at that, my one (cool) (Muslim) (Ethiopian) coworker gave me a look, where she dipped her head and pursed her lips and raised her eyebrows, in a look that was kind of like, "Who is this guy."

Then, the two of them began speaking in Amharic.

"What is 'sucker'?", my one (cool) (Muslim) (Ethiopian) coworker then asked me, and she said "sucker" in a way that the vowels were off again.

No comments: