Thursday, August 20, 2020

Luau day at work.

The other week at my resthome job, they had a modified version of their annual Hawaiian party for the residents.

When I got to work, a few administrators were walking around with this little cart dressed up in green crepe paper with a selection of leis on it, and between a golden one and a dark red one that both looked good, I ended up choosing the golden one, in part because I feel like it's something you'd see a (Hindu) cultist wear, and wearing it made me almost feel like I was in some sort of (Hindu) cultist Halloween costume, where I was some crazy (American) guy following a fucked-up guru who just kind of ended up in India.

When I went into the office right after that, I saw that they had left a selection of leis out on the main table in our office, and so I offered some to my coworkers.

My one (cool) (Muslim) (Ethiopian) worker took a dark red one, and she wrapped it up around on her veil, so it was kind of like a necklace and a headband at the same time.

And, there were a couple neon green flower ones left, and I offered one to my one (Chinese Filipina) coworker, but she made a face, and I was like, "What, you don't like neon green?", and she made a face again and was like, "No," and she said she'd wait till later to find another one.

Then, I offered a neon green flower lei to my one (older) (shorter) (Tibetan) coworker, and she gladly took it, and when I picked it up, two small neon green flower bracelets fell out, so I offered them to her too.

"Here, put it on," she was like, and held out one wrist, and then after putting one on, I asked her if she wanted the second one on the same wrist, or on the other one.

"The other one," she was like, and she held that wrist out and I put it on there, and right away she lifted both her arms up and did some little hand motions to show off her forearms, just like a hula dancer would do.

Later that evening, when I was helping the one (totally chill) resident to get ready for bed, she looked at me all of a sudden and was like, "Nice necklace."

Also later that evening, I asked the one resident who's a retired school nurse if she enjoyed the pina coladas that they were handing out, and she was like, "Yes, but they needed more rum."

No comments: