Saturday, August 29, 2020

A bar patio, during quarantine.

On my way back from the beach the other week, I discovered that this one bar that I don't particularly like has a back patio, and I've now been there twice...

I was going to meet my one librarian manager friend to go walk her dog, when I noticed that the bar's sandwich board out front had switched from advertising carry-out to saying that they had a back patio.

So, I had gone to check it out, and it was set up in the back parking lot with tables spaced decently apart from everyone and the employees wore masks, and since you were sitting like at least ten feet apart from people in open air, the arrangement seemed very, very safe, from what I've read about the coronavirus; groups of mostly (black) people were mixing among themselves, but you didn't have to be anywhere near any other customers, when you were just sitting out chilling with a beer out there.

Each of the two nights that I was there, too, customers helped break down tables and carry in chairs after last call ended.  It was all very much a feeling of solidarity.

Otherwise, we were all just sitting out in a big back parking lot under the night sky, with rows of cars beyond us, with people occasionally going off by the dumpsters to stand there and have a cigarette.

I texted my one (Spanish) professor friend who lives down the block, to tell him that we'd reinvented the plaza.

I said something like, "Estoy a [the bar's name]. Venga aqui. Estas casado pero no ya muerte" ("I am at [the bar's name], come here, you are married but not yet dead").

No comments: