Monday, June 15, 2020

Looting (7 of 9): Neighborhood businesses.

The morning after my second night at the resthome, I popped into the local (Filipino) bakery I like to get myself some treats - they have really good savory buns and this sweet bun with some kind of filling from the purple ube yam, it's kind of like a (Filipino) sweet potato - and then I went to the nearby coffee shop to go sit out at the outdoor picnic tables some and read a bit before I had to go get to my one assisted living client's with disabilities.

At the bakery, there was a few homemade signs in the windows, one that said "STOP RACISM," and another one that said, "ALL PEOPLE COLOR MEN WOMEN ARE CREATED EQUAL."

There was some plexiglass dividers up above the display cases, too, and fewer customers, but otherwise it seemed like normal.

I asked the one lady at the counter who I know by sight how everything was, and she said that she was hopeful for the business.  She also said that her husband made the signs, because he wanted to do something.

At the coffee shop, the (younger) (hip) (Vietnamese) girl said that she had to get back to work since it was tough to go more than 2 months without income.  She said sometimes she has a hard time understanding people because she can't see their lips under their masks, and that her business didn't qualify for any loans since it's just her and another person who run it, and 2 people is too small according to whatever standards the government set up.

Unlike the bakery woman, she didn't seem hopeful, just resolved.

No comments: