Thursday, June 18, 2020

Looting (10 of 10): Uber driver.

I was going to stay one last night at the resthome so I could commute home during daytime hours, but then on Twitter a local city council member said that public transportation would be restricted again where I live the next day, so I decided to take a cab home that night, since stuff was clearer that way and since the resthome would pay for it, too.

As it turns out, my Uber driver - the resthome called an Uber for me - was a (young) (Sudanese) guy.

He said that that there was no surge pricing that night, luckily, but that there had been the previous weekend, and a lot of workers who still had to go in to work were upset at the cost and were complaining a lot when they were taking his Uber.

His guess was, was that Uber is in bed with the local government, so that the government shuts down public transportation and then people are forced to use the high-priced Ubers.

He also said that he has been driving like full-time for somewhere around five years, and it works for him, since he doesn't have a family.

He also also was showing me where the military outposts were, as we passed them on the major roads.

I also told him that I have two (half Sudanese) friends, and it turns out that he had spent most of his life in Khartoum, too, just like them.

He was very happy when I told him that I had eaten "ful" (beans made a certain Sudanese way), when my one (half Sudanese) (half British) friend (the sister of the brother-sister pair) had made it a month or two ago when an old friend of hers was visiting the city.

Since I had also told the Uber driver that my friends were (half British) - "England ruled us for fifty-five years," he was like - he wanted to know if they liked soccer and were Liverpool fans, since he said that he had never been to England, but he was a huge Liverpool fan and that he liked that team a lot.

I told him that I didn't think they liked soccer, but that he had gotten me wondering, and that I'd find out, later.

So, later that night, I texted my one (half British) (half Sudanese) friend (the sister of the brother-sister pair), and she said that they don't like soccer, but her (American) husband does and Liverpool's his team, so she's kind of a Liverpool fan through him.

No comments: