Saturday, June 13, 2020

Looting (6 of 9): Fairy bread.

The first night at my one assisted living client's with disabilities, I decided to go ahead with my recent plans to make up some "fairy bread" as an unexpected treat.

Basically, as a(n Australian) colleague had told me about it years ago, it's the prototypical (Australian) kids birthday party treat, where you put butter on crustless white bread and then sprinkle ice cream sprinkles all over it, and the shittier starchier cheaper white bread that you use, the better it is.

As I've heard it, it sounds gross, but it's actually really good, and since I had gotten the leftover ice cream sprinkles from when we had had an ice cream treat one day at the resthome, I thought I'd try using them for that, as a fun thing to do with my client and so that no ice cream sprinkles went to waste.

(I checked first with my client's lesbian sister by text if my client likes sprinkles, and she does, so I told the sister my surprise plans in confidence, and she said that fairy bread actually sounds really tasty, which surprised me, since no-one seems to have that reaction the first time that they hear about it.)

Anyhow, "This tastes like frosting," my one client said, when she tried her half of the fairy bread piece that I had whipped up, after I ate mine first to show her that I wasn't pranking her.

The next night at work I told my one (biracial) coworker and my one (white) (townie) coworker about fairy bread, when they were sitting around talking about having sex in cars with the men who would become their husbands.

"Oh yeah, that stuff is good," my one (biracial) coworker is like.

"It tastes like frosting!", I was like.

"Oh year it does," my one (white) (townie) coworker was like, "Buttercream frosting is basically like butter and sugar, it's the same thing."

As it turns out, both had actually tried it before!

No comments: