Saturday, May 16, 2020

Coronavirus shift, in perceptions of careers and my lifetrack.

At the time of my birthday earlier this year, I was reflecting on the paths that I'd travelled, and I was struck when I looked back and saw how my life had been defined by shrinking horizons of opportunity and how narrow my chances actually were of getting set up in a good career that fits my talents, even though I didn't fully realize it at the time.

I had written down different aspects of this on a piece of paper to blog about, but I lost it a few weeks ago, which is just as well.

For one, I had a conversation with a friend who's in law, and I didn't realize quite how f*cked things were in that sector in the 2000s, so my estimations were overoptimistic with that path and there was even less chances for me out there than I thought!

Also, coronavirus has changed everything, and outdated so many of my observations.

It'd be pretty awful to be in an academic job right now, including tenure-track, since you'd be seeing so many budget cuts and workload increases and possibly even position eliminations, and you're just precarious or are just stuck and are having like almost zero job mobility, at most places.

I kind of dodged a bullet with that one, to avoid that nonsense and be in healthcare.

Maybe my life has turned out better than I thought, for the present.

Somehow, though, you just wish that there was more opportunities and you had a little more choice over the direction of your life, like people used to.

No comments: