Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Health insurance (1 of 2): Overview.

What gets me with health insurance now is that it's really, really hard to make sure that insurance companies are doing their jobs.

With my trying to locate an allergist, it took me a while to get to my primary care doctor, get a referral, and then have the referral changed two and now three times because I was misled through outdated information online about who was in network and who maintained a practice in city limits, which only came out relatively late in the process, like right before it was time to make an appointment in one case, and the day before the appointment in another, totalling like 2-3 months of delay and wasted time in all.

Like who at the insurance company is in charge of that, and why is their information so old?

The worst part is the pretense of choice to it all, like I'm supposed to select some plan with the providers I need or some shit like that, when the information that's right at hand is wrong.

Am I supposed to call and verify like all their provider info before purchasing a plan?

What bull crap.

I was googling online, too, and it seems like insurance providers are supposed to provide networks of sufficient depth to not delay care, but what does that mean, and who enforces it?

Some of their providers are well beyond city limits and I don't have a car, so does that count?

What nonsense, and you don't even know who to go to.  I can't believe that between myself and federal subsidies, I'm paying like multiple thousands of dollars a year for this nonsense, before receiving any care at all.

No comments: