Saturday, March 21, 2020

Religious affiliations of resthome residents.

Like a few weeks ago I was talking with the one retired school nurse at the resthome, about the one quiet engineer guy resident who had recently died.

He was a very straightforward and by-the-books person, but he was actually part of this fringe (Jewish) group where members did everything themselves in the traditional form, but without rabbis and without distinction among the sexes, and they were very proud of themselves for making local history for being the first to have some female cantor or something like that.

"I always thought that was really cool," I was like.  "I just didn't expect that from him, it was a little outside the box, but once he told me about it, I just thought it was really cool, and it was just so cool how he was actually a freethinker like that, I wouldn't have necessarily have expected that from him, from other conversations we had had."

"That's the kind of place you would go, if you were a Jew," the retired school nurse was like.

No comments: