Saturday, July 27, 2019

Computer repairs.

For a while, my computer screen would flash off for a bit, then finally one night it gave out when I was working at a bar and a woman stomped off after some sports game that had ended on television.

I was spazzing since I had an article draft deadline due later that night, and the next morning at the computer store they quoted me $90 for labor and some unpredictable amount for parts, probably like $100-$180 more on top of that initial $90.

I found that wacky since my hunch was it was just some wire that was displaced, so that day at work I googled phrases of what my laptop did, to see if anyone had listed any quick fixes online.

They said it was likely a wire that was jarred loose in this one predictable part of the computer, so that night after work I unscrewed the laptop back and found that one wire and repositioned it, and then I flipped my laptop over and tested it, and the screen worked again.

Since I had a draft due, I didn't move the f*cker right away again and I just worked for a few hours and finished the draft right there, saving it on a thumb drive all the time, all the while while some random laptop screws were just sitting out on my kitchen table just beyond my right hand as I typed and moved the mouse.

Then, I shut the computer off and screwed it back up.

I didn't even touch it for a few days, I was so afraid that something wouldn't work again.

But, when I turned it back on again, the screen worked no problem, and it has ever since.

Win!

No comments: