Friday, June 28, 2019

Some stories of my one (thin) (Tibetan) coworker (1 of 2): School.

The other week I was talking with my one (thin) (Tibetan) coworker after she was telling me about how she and our one (solidly built) (Tibetan) coworker had to go outside and run after a resident with dementia who'd gotten outside the building, and how our one other coworker stopped running halfway up the street but she had managed to keep running until she had caughten up with the resident.

"Have you always been athletic?", I was like.

And, she told me yes, and that she did very well in sports back in India growing up, like running and basketball and badminton.

"And soccer?", I was like.

"No," she was like, and she said that in India when she was growing up, women didn't play soccer.

She also said that she went to a private (German)-run school that she had gotten a scholarship to go to since her family was refugees, and that in the school all girls were divided up into four groups so they could play sports against one another.

No comments: