Monday, March 11, 2019

Resthome humor (3 of 3): Jury duty.

That same evening during a slow part of the night, I popped into our central office and my one (Ethiopian) supervisor was there catching up on paperwork, and she was doing that as I sat down at our same one main table and started to have a snack.

Then, she turned to me and was like, "Can I ask something?"

"Of course,"  I was like.

"I get jury duty, I don't want go, what do I do?", she was like.

"I actually have no idea," I was like.

She then said that she doesn't want to miss all that work and that she was thinking that she could pretend that she doesn't know English in order to get out of it, and that she wanted to reply back -

I don't understand. I don't speak English well.

- "That's it," she was like, shrugging and using this phrase of finality that she uses that must be some kind of stock phrase in Amharic.

The funny thing, too, is that like two days later, I got standby notice for jury duty in the mail, and I've never been called for jury duty before!

No comments: