Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Rest home stories (2 of 2): Jigsaw puzzle.

In this one room off of the resthome lobby, someone had a jigsaw puzzle set out, and the other evening during down time between tasks I joined those same couple (Jewish) residents, who were at the table working on the jigsaw puzzle.

The one who was worried about Medicare has done jigsaw puzzles forever, and when I was trying to do a patch of a sunset sky and I was saying that I didn't know if a piece of a certain color went on this side or that side of the sunset, she said with that kind of piece where it's just blank color or blank color with small variations, you don't look at the picture, you look at the piece shape.

She also said that if you're not sure if two pieces actually fit together, you flip them over and see if you can see black space between the pieces you just put together, because black space shows better when you're looking at the back side of pieces..

Later, I was making head way on the sunset sky part, and I had filled in a huge part and one piece was just missing from the middle of the part that I was working on and I couldn't find that, and I said that.

"How about that one over there?", that same resident said from across the table, and I suddenly noticed a piece in the middle of some others that I hadn't tried.

So, I tried it, and it fit.

"Wow!", I was like.  "You are good!"

She had eagle eyes and so much jigsaw puzzle strategy, it was awesome.  I was truly impressed.

No comments: