Wednesday, December 5, 2018

A memory of petition season.

Back when I had to go and gather a lot of signatures in order to qualify for the ballot, me and a (younger) (white) guy who was born and bred in the neighborhood but had just moved back from Florida where he was for a few years but then decided he didn't like it got to talking, as he was waiting for the bus.

First off, he couldn't sign for me, since he hadn't changed his voter registration back to the neighborhood yet.

Second, he was pretty sympathetic to the task of getting signatures, and he said that you have to have a "tough skin."

He did it himself for different campaigns years ago back before he moved to Florida, he said, and he said people gave him crap and threw him attitude all the time when he was out doing it.

At least for me, that was a relief.  Somehow I thought that I was the only person to get that!  I guess not...  The older I get, the more it really comforts me to find out that other people have experienced the same difficulties that I have.

No comments: