Saturday, October 13, 2018

Random thoughts on my academic preparation.

I'm much happier working in the resthome where I'm at, and not being walking on eggshells among the corrupt and malfeasant in academia, while investing 80-hour workweeks over years for no money and no certain career or even a certain offramp where you can make ends meet as you try to transition out and transition into a more stable career.

But, the other day I was thinking about all the languages I know, and how many hours I'd spent putting into learning Greek and Latin and Hebrew and whatnot.

So many hours, over simply years and years; the courses, and the summer courses, and the mornings at my kitchen table a few times a week, with texts and language aides and study cards that I'd make up.

I enjoyed it and I'm glad I did it, but it's simply odd, that it's not being used somehow.

I honestly have these file folders with texts of Eusebius and Origen that I'd read in the original, on something vaguely related to my research interest but more just something I was interested in in order to help me master the language.

It's so strange, that it's just locked away in there.

Maybe one day I'll go back.  If I ever turn my dissertation into a pop book, the project after the next project after that will involve the languages, "should I live so long."

It's not obvious any more that I'll have the ability to get around to those projects, though I more probably will if I lose my campaign, since I can see how my resthome job dovetails nicely with long days off at home where I sit and rest up and read and write.

In a way, it's the academy's loss, that they don't have a home for a competent person of good will.  Just sad.

No comments: