Friday, October 12, 2018

A (foreign) coworker's observation on one resthome resident.

One (foreign) coworker was saying that she thinks this one resthome resident with mid-stage dementia can be really obstinate, since he had been very controlling of his wife in his marriage.

"People here knew him and his wife, they say he always told her what to do," she was like. "He is the same way with us, he is used to being in charge."

"I didn't realize that," I was like, since he has pictures of her everywhere in his room, and it had seemed like a happy marriage.

One day when I was in his room with him, too, he led me over to his bureau to show me some pictures on top of himself in World War II, and I pointed to a picture of his wife as a young bride.

At that, he looked over there and smiled, and blew a kiss towards her picture and waved at it.

Life is complicated.

No comments: