Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Jokes and publicity.

So, after the unionization hearings got publicized by social media in a way that admin never expected, campus atmosphere has severely turned against admin and for unionization.

So, I've been contributing public jokes, both to keep people reading and to keep people stirred, since that way people will end up talking to more people and the info spreads around.

Some undergrads or just-graduated undergrads, though, called me out by FB message for my running jokes about the president's ex-wife and this one dean being addicted to foie gras.

One said the first was slut-shaming (of the school president?!), and another said that the attacks were ad hominem and could turn people off.

Yet, an adjunct organizer I know said to keep them coming, and I'm actually designing the humor to get my framing categories out there.

My hunch is that people (especially younger people) aren't used to "going there" with authority figures, and are projecting their discomfort onto the material and mentally inventing a situation where some people might be turned off, to make the material and thus their discomfort go away.

No comments: