Thursday, December 29, 2016

Potentially awkward encounter with a student.

The other week I was at school downloading all these pdfs from the major journal of sexology, since in a few weeks I'll be having coffee with a grad student who's been part of the major research on "So what the f*ck's up with tr*nny-chasers?" (the subject of the articles are phrased a bit more academic than that, admittedly, but that's honestly what the research amounts to).

Anyhow, I was checking the pdfs to make sure they downloaded properly, and I had one up on the screen with a title of something like, "Sexual Arousal Patterns in Crossdressers," when all of a sudden I heard a cheery and pleasant "Hi, [My first name]!" from behind me, and walking past me right then is one of my current (white) (male) freshman writing students, in a moose antler hat since even though he seems kind of sweet and dopey, he's probably pledging some fraternity.

I said hi back, but I was cringing inside.

I don't think he saw the screen, but what would he think was going on if he did?

It was like 8pm at night, and it was obvious I had had a long day and was still in the school library, and I was sitting there, reading that?

It would have come off as mega-weird, if he had noticed.

No comments: