Friday, December 30, 2016

Class dynamics at school.

I do office hours by appointment, and one freshman writing student had swim practice and was hoping to meet during the day rather than early evening, so I set up a lunch meeting with him during my break from my 9-5 shift at the library, but he got confused on location, and so I left when he wasn't there and rescheduled for two days later same time after a very professional, apologetic email from him.

At that second meeting, though, I was tired from working my near minimum wage job a lot that week and having my lunch taken up with the meeting, and all of a sudden I just "clicked in" to the situation, and realized that I was taking on too much between my two jobs, to let him get away with not having to miss what is essentially a daily leisured hobby.

That made me super disgusted when I thought of it that way, that I'm this highly trained professional who has to work 2 jobs and even then can't achieve a modest or predictable income, and I'm rearranging my life for the hobby of a 19 year old.

It's not his fault, but eff that, what nonsense...

It's surprising how easily I slid into it, though, because I always try to "fit one more thing in" and arrange writing workshop meetings to take into account students' extracurriculars if I can, and I did the same in this situation, without stopping to think about what was really going on.

What nonsense.

I'm so glad I decided to get the f*ck out of higher ed, and I only hope it's soon, that I can disconnect.

No comments: