Friday, March 25, 2016

Post-Super Tuesday reactions of a college student:

One of my freshman writing students at my university grew up in the south as the child of at least one African immigrant (his dad is from Anglophone West Africa).

A few weeks ago when the classroom DVD player wasn't working, he had his laptop with him and hooked it up into the A/V machine so that we could play the DVD, and his laptop had a big "BERNIE 2016" sticker on the top of it.

After our most recent writing group meeting, the day after Super Tuesday, I closed the session and remarked that everyone seemed tired, and that I hoped it was because they had all been up late watching election results the previous night.

Most said actually no, but this kid said that he didn't watch per se, but had a newsfeed open as he worked late, and then he began talking about the Republican electorate of the Mountain West states and whether Sanders would do well in Colorado.

He also said Sanders just wasn't making enough connections with the black electorate.

He's very lab science-oriented at this point in time, and I found his interest both authentic and refreshing...

It's interesting, too, that my 2 most visibly political students are both pro-Bernie and both children of African immigrants to the South.

I wonder what that means, or if it's just a coincidence.

No comments: