Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Unionizing reactions (1 of 3): Spaz case.

Going around talking to colleagues about unionization is very interesting.

One (fatter) (bearded) (white) (hipster) guy kind of spazzed, and told me that he felt "hijacked".

He then said that he's from a union family and is supportive, but there should have been a better way I went about it, like emailing him to sit down and talk.

I apologized profusely and asked him if I had done something wrong, since I wanted to be as effective in outreach as possible...

I also said I was being paid, and was just volunteering time among my 3 other jobs, so I hoped that he could give me some leeway if I did something off, since my mind was probably elsewhere.

He really couldn't articulate anything, and later the union organizer said that there's reactions like that, when someone's colleague shows up to speak with them, so not to worry about it.

No comments: