Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Two writing student interactions:

1) During a small group meeting, at the mention of the winners of the New Hampshire primaries and specifically when I said "Bernie Sanders", my one freshman writing student who grew up in the South as the child of working class East African immigrants broke out into a smile and began snapping her fingers and moving her head back-and-forth.

2) Two small group meetings later at the end of a very long day, one student was like, "I'm hungry," and another was like, "I need a coffee," and so I looked off into the distance theatrically and sighed and was like, "I need an espresso martini," at which this (female) (Asian-American) freshman with stylish glasses broke out into a smile, and when someone was like, "Do those even exist?", she nodded and quietly affirmed that yes indeed they do.

No comments: