Monday, January 4, 2016

Simply horrific dream: Accident and injury.

The other week I dreamt -

I'm in a kitchen and the burner is on, and there's gaps a bit here and there in the floor near the stove, and through some just-visible pipes gas is escaping and there's miniature flames visible like little accidental unreachable burners.

I'm shucking an ear of corn, and as I do so, some corn silk falls on the floor and down through onto one of these flames, then lights up and floats above me and onto the back of my head, and I feel a searing fire.

I panic, and the next thing I know I have a towel and I'm wrapping my head in it and am snuffing out the flame from all of my hair on fire, and I can feel this horrendous pain over the back of my head and my right ear.

I know that all my hair is gone, and I have a huge bright shiny white patch all over the back of my head, forever,

Suddenly, I worry about my bar job orientation the next day, and how I'll look for that, and how I have nothing to cover my head with like a scarf or nice-looking hat that falls the right way so that I look normal and so that everyone there doesn't notice.

I also suddenly realize that my right ear is damaged, and the top just flops over, and even more than that, when it does so, the top half of my entire right ear is aching and starting to come off on a big fold of skin down and away from my head.

I take it and look in a mirror, and that part is a bloody mat where the skin is peeling away, and I look at it and keep hoping that the blood will start to scab and keep it in place.

Next, I talk to a few people in succession, and as I show them my ear, the scabbing blood gives away and the flesh starts to slowly peel down off my head, and I'm forced to hold my hand up against the flap to keep it in place, and I'm worried that my ear will tear even more until it's totally irretrievable and lost forever.

I also know that I haven't gone to the doctor in time because nothing is open, and so my overoptimistic procrastination might leave me unnecessarily grotesque for the remainder of my life.

. . .

(In real life, I had bar job orientation the next day, and the kids in the apt. upstairs were noisy at like 6:45am and I so I stuck my head under my pillow in order to sleep some more, which I think my mind translated into the towel and weird pressure on my right ear in my sleep, and it became malevolent and foreboding since my sleep was uneasy due to the noise.)

No comments: