Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Homeless man on the subway.

The other Saturday I was coming back from (new) barhopping on the far northwest side of the city, and I boarded at like ten o'lock at night on a cold night a decently crowded train.

As I stood there in the entryway of the car with my bike, I noticed that a(n older) (black) man opposite me appeared to be homeless, and all of a sudden he began shivering and jumpily brushing off his arms like bugs were crawling all over them.

Then, after we shifted due to people coming on at the next stop, he all-of-a-sudden lashed out with his right elbow and whacked the glass partition behind him, making people jump.

Without noticing, he calmly proceeded to roll up his shirt, pull up his sweatpants underneath his pants, and then pull up his outer pants that were over his sweatpants, readjusting them so his layers covered him more, presumably against the cold, though it wasn't that cold on the subway car.

Suddenly, he began sniffing the air - a slight smell of piss was beginning to spread in the car - and then he reached in his pocket and pulled out a stick of deoderant, and without any sign that anything was out of the ordinary, he uncapped it and began rubbing the stick up and down the sides of his face.

So, at the very next stop, I calmly walked out of the car, and as soon as I was out of sight of the door, I booked down to the next car to board it before the doors there closed.

That homeless guy's behavior seemed erratic and was making me very, very nervous.

No comments: