Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Library Job Tidbits: Cookies, Books, Morale.

1)      During the holidays, someone in the library back offices would leave out a box of candy, and once a box of really high quality homemade Christmas cookies.

With the homemade Christmas cookies, one of the four kinds was “Julia Child’s madeleines”, as a handwritten index card set in there said, and another was “Connecticut Strippers – don’t Google!!!”.

2)      My supervisor has to flip through all of the pulled books before they get sent off for scanning.

He said it’s fun a lot of times to see the obscure stuff people have written books on, though it was less fun when the project got to the part of the library with treatises on venereal diseases, with pictorial insets.

3)      When I was training, one of my coworkers, this quirky biracial undergrad, advised me to come back and get a new pull list if I found myself in a section with a lot of misshelved books where I was spending a lot of time hunting but couldn’t find anything.

“Why?”, I was like.  “Don’t those lists have to be gone through too?”.
 
“That’s what I thought when I first started working,” he was like.  “But you get demoralized.”

No comments: