Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Art school vindictiveness and retaliation.

After that one "tenured tyrant" cut 2 of my classes and got another prof to cut my 3rd, my future at the art school got massively reoriented.

If I could teach a handful of classes for a few years, I could petition into a higher paygrade with more stability, but that was effectively taken away from me, because I'd have to beg courses from the one remaining coordinator and find time to write the syllabi and then teach them repeatedly before I could even get back to that state where I was at.

So, I had nothing to lose by asking questions about working conditions that allowed such stuff to happen, because I was on solid ground due to similar experiences had by other colleagues.

The fact that I was on solid ground was borne out by the fact that once they tried to retaliate against my last class, I could invoke the NLRA and their internal investigation restored my last class (though they claim it wasn't retaliation).

I'm not sure how much they understand the situation, though.

From what they're saying, they think that that attempted retaliation was in the past, and that everything's "back to normal".

Except, other people are alarmed and concerned from what they've heard, and this is more a matter of working conditions than ever - for example, how that decision could have been made, or if the purported neutral internal parties (deans, special faculty positions) are actually covering up retaliation, from what can be determined.

I'll have to check with the union to make sure that these inquiries aren't counterproductive, but it seems like it should be determined as much as possible what went on, so that people can more fully think through what it means to have a union at a place where such behavior occurs and internal fora don't seem adequate as advertised, as now seems to be the case.

No comments: