Friday, October 23, 2015

Glumness over class cutting...

So, though I had anticipated the possibility of getting my last class cut in retaliation for unionization activity and seeking improvements in workplace conditions, the email came a bit out of the blue (I had expected it earlier and had thought that that time had passed), and it left me in a funk.

Going into one meeting with a faculty admin person the day after that retaliation happened, it felt odd even to be on campus.

Fortunately, right after that meeting I saw the one (black) (female) security guard I know who writes urban romance novels, and she was so genuinely happy to see me, that it was just wonderful, to know that the cool people I like like me...

Funnily, the same thing had happened with another (black) (female) security guard in the other building, when I had been in there a month earlier for another meeting around these issues, and when she said she hadn't seen me and asked me how I'd been, and when I said my classes had been cut, all right away her face got all stony and she was like, "I don't like that."

(Funny enough, a [white] [female] artist colleague said like those exact same words later that afternoon, when I bumped into her on the stairwell and also told her of my situation.)

My one lawyer friend from Missouri says that all relationships ending cause distress, especially when it's on bad terms, even when a person's okay with the situation.

Too, I really appreciated this text from my one (Asian-Canadian) friend, who I had gone out for drinks with the night I received the news of the cutting, and who I had texted to tell him that I was feeling oddly blue and ashamed:

I don't think you have anything to new [sic] ashamed of.  I'm sure of [sic] the strategies of power in an institution is to belittle.  Just keep doing what you think is right.

. . .


No comments: