Sunday, July 27, 2014

Palestine protest!

I had called up my one (half British) (half Sudanese) friend to see if he wanted to go visit a slavery-associated historic site, and he did, and he said he'd be bringing along with him a (German) friend who was visiting.

That morning when we were talking by phone to finalize arrangements, he told me that afterwards he and his friend were going to go to a downtown protest on behalf of Palestinians suffering from the Israeli airstrikes in Gaza, and that I'd be welcome to join them.

"You know," I was like, "I've had a long week, and I really set aside today as my beach day."

"Well, [my first name]," he was like, "Acting on behalf of burning Palestinian children, or the beach, hmmmm, everyone has their priorities," and then he laughed.

His jokes are so much funnier in the delivery, since you can hear his British accent.

Years ago right after my one friend who teaches modern Czech literature met him for the 1st time, she was like, "His accent, is it even real?".


No comments: