Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Discovered a check in the back of a book.

For years I've mostly read memoirs for fun, but lately I've been reading novels again, and have been checking them out from the city's public library.

I love having these dogeared books, and wondering where else in the city they've been and who else has read them.

The other week, I was finishing up Tom Perrotta's The Leftovers, and there in the back of the book was a check on light purple floral-design paper, for $50, made out to a person with a signature and "PERSONAL DEPOSIT" on the back.

I returned the book to the outside dropbox when the library was closed, so I left a note explaining how I had found the check, and paperclipped that note and the check so that they stuck out together from behind the front cover.

That way, I assume the staff will see the check and maybe look up and contact the previous patron who had been reading the book.

No comments: