Sunday, March 10, 2013

Subway fun: White Castle burgers.

The other week when I was coming home like 1 a.m. on the subway from school (a friend's wife was in town for a long weekend, so I went out at the student bar since I wanted to catch up with her about her new job she got in a different state).

Anyhow, on the subway, these three kids in their early 20s get on with this huge box of White Castle hamburgers, from which they would occasionally desultorily pluck one and eat it rather slowly while chit-chatting about not much at all with each other.

So, I struck up a conversation with the (white) (male) kid near me, and it turns out they had stopped through White Castle after getting hammered at a concert for a metal band they like.

"That's cool," I was like.  "Do you mind if I have a burger?".

"Sure, dude," the guy was like.  "You want regular cheese, or jalapeno cheese?".

I got one burger with regular cheese and ate it, and they offered me a second, but one was enough.

Then, they got inspired by me, and called out and offered them to a nearby (white) dude reading a book.

"I would love one!", he said, snapping shut the hardcover.

It had just been us there (apart from a few people way down at the other end of the car), but as we got downtown, a handful more of people got on, and they began offering burgers to them too.

One (white) gay in a younger gay couple with playbills in hand accepted one, though his (hispanic) partner demurred, saying it would give him diarrhea.

Later, they also offered them to another guy, who thanked them profusely but refused.

"What, it's not a good idea to take free food from strangers?", the (biracial) (girl) who offered him the burger asked, and at that he laughed.

No comments: