Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Phew - Just in time - Latin accomplishment.

So yesterday me and my one grantwriting Latin student finished up our special readings to coincide with the conclave.

Last week was our 2nd session on sections from the Apostolic Constitution "Universi Dominici Gregis" (the most recent doc outlaying conclave procedures), and we did a ton of sightreading at the end to power through it.

Yesterday we worked on Benedict's resignation announcement.  He had prepped about half, then we powered through and did a ton of sightreading to finish that off too.

I'm happy, my goal had been to finish both those readings before the new pope was elected!

In like 2 places (maybe 3), too, the Latin of Benedict's announcement was kind of shitty, from what I could tell:

1) He used "conscius" instead of "conscius sibi" to mean "aware of".

2) He went back into an accusative-infinitive instruction after a purpose clause, when it seems like it should have been a continuation of the purpose clause.

Also, I think he used "non solum - non minus" when "non solum - non etiam" would have been better (I'd have to check usage on that, though).

I wonder who drew up the Latin text - and what language Benedict's resignation was originally written in (Italian? German?).

No comments: