Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Bugs (3 of 4): Bug in a dream.

Last Tuesday night I dreamt that I was outside my parents house, and I somehow came across this bug that had been recognized in a regional paper as a newly-discovered species.

The bug was sky blue and around the size of a quarter, and had many small legs on its underside, and occasionally a small crack would shift in its back and what appeared to be wings would raise up, and occasionally its body would undulate like a wave or 2 across the surface of a pool.

I went to show my parents, and it disappeared, only to reappear on the underside of a cedar banister in our house.

I went to show them again, and it disappeared, only to reappear crawling around my upper arm and going to hide underneath my armpit.

When it was on the banister, I noticed that one of its wings was bent almost in half, and sticking out from its body, and I realized that someone had sent me the bug in a letter, and in all my joy at seeing the new species, that I hadn't realized how damaging the trip had been for the bug.

I looked more closely, though, and I realized that the bug's wing was fine, that a small pine needle had been jammed underneath the left wing and was sticking out in back, and so that what was sticking out wasn't a wing at all.

No comments: