Saturday, February 16, 2013

2 soup stories.

1) A friend had sent me a Hungarian lecso recipe with her Chrismas card, and I looked it over to see if there's anything I could do differently with the recipe I already had, and I realized I could put in the chopped up green peppers at the end of cooking to preserve their freshness. 

Tomatoes went on sale soon after and I made a pot of lecso, but I forgot to do that, but a week later tomatoes were still on sale, so I bought more and made a 2nd pot and did do that.

The crisper green peppers is nice, not only for texture, but somehow the green pepper taste is a bit stronger and adds to the recipe.

2) For the birthday of the (Mexican) engineer my one friend the lawyer from Missouri used to date, we went to a new restaurant specializing in high quality ramen noodles, where a big bowl of soup with really good ingredients was $14.

"I thought it would be fun and something different, especially when it's so cold out," my friend was like.

I totally agreed it was a good idea, but when we got our menus, I pretend-whispered to some people, "Is it me, or is this way overpriced?  I could make this at home for twenty-five cents!".

Saddly, the ramen was disappointing and not worth the money - totally unlike the Mexican red posole I had had at a restaurant like a month earlier, which I'm dying to have again.

No comments: