Thursday, January 3, 2013

W*lm*rt unionization.

The other week I was talking with my dad on the phone, and he was saying a lot of people in my hometown in Michigan are ticked off at W*lm*rt b/c they keep people to part-time salaries and dick them around by moving their schedules and not allowing them to get other part-time jobs, but no-one complains b/c they can't afford to lose their jobs.

"They should unionize," I was like.

"They would," my dad was like, "But they're afraid to lose their jobs, you got to remember the level of unemployment up here."

"That's true," I was like, "But I also think it's cultural, where people are anti-union."

Then, I said that the hotbed of W*lm*rt unionization is inner cities, which W*lm*rt has been pushing into, and that unemployment there can get over 30%.

"And those workers are fighting to unionize," I was like.

"Hmmm," my dad was like, "Maybe it is a cultural thing."

He also said the big era of unions was over, and when I said that we might be entering a new era of re-unionization, he agreed we might be, and that it was needed.

No comments: