Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Viewpoint of a Dutch prof.

So the other day at a holiday breakfast for my dept. I talked to one Dutch prof.

Somehow, when she was talking with me and another student, she said her goal is to get her students through the program as fast as possible.

"Professors at elite institutions have to face up to the face that many of their students will not be employed," she said, very straightforwardly.

She then said her philosophy was to get people out the door as quickly as possible, so they can either get a job or get on with their lives.

(I'm not sure I agree with that approach, since many people will leave with less-than-normal professionalization, and students for whom money isn't an issue will stay on and get that and get an edge, but I can see where she's coming from.)

She also said that she would never encourage her daughters to get into this profession.

"Things were always better here than in Europe, and this is still one of the top programs," she was like, "But I still don't think it's necessarily a good idea for everyone."

No comments: