Saturday, January 5, 2013

Developments: Sifting Rice.

So after I discovered my 20lb bag of rice that I kept under the sink was bug-infested, I ended up trasferring it to coffee cans and putting them in the freezer, to kill the bugs.

Then, I bought a strainer, and now sift any rice to get the bugs and larvae out, then put it in another strainer to run water over it.

Usually, I get maybe 1 or 2 bugs if any out of any one coffee cup of rice (I measure rice with a coffee cup), but the other day, out of just half a coffee cup of dry rice, I got like 8+ bugs. 

It was disgusting, but then I remembered that people at Jonestown and in other parts of the world face this problem all the time, and that I probably have eaten bugs in the past as well, since insect parts end up in all food in some small portion anyhow.

No comments: