Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Vegetable stock experiment: squeezed-out lime.

The other week when I was making up some vegetable stock for incorporation in a lentil soup, on a whim I threw in the squeezed-out lime I had just squeezed into the lentil soup (I added lime juice in, since I was already adding vinegar in b/c of a recipe I had seen, and they seemed like they complement one another).

My tasty vegetable stock became very very bitter, but not unpleasantly so, and when I added it to the big pot of lentil soup, it actually made the whole thing deliciously savory.

It was only then that I remembered that back when I did Latin translation for a spice company, that I read something about how dried slices of lime are used in north african cooking, and that the taste can be overpowering, but very effective in the right recipes.

I'm def. doing the same thing in the future when I make lentil soup.  I just can't stop eating this batch of soup!

No comments: