Saturday, December 15, 2012

Bar developments (1 of 2): New heights of barhopping.

Starting about 2 months ago, bartenders and people at bars started buying me shots and beers a ton, to the point where I'd have to turn them down, if I was planning on a long night of barhopping.

A few weeks ago, though, hispanics started doing this for me a crazy lot.

At one bar, I ordered in Spanish, and before I left 2 (Mexican) guys in their mid-40s who heard that started asking if I was Polish, but the one kept mixing in Spanish words, his English was so bad.

"Puedo hablar un pocito de Espanol," I was like.  "Toda la familia de mi madre es Polaca, pero yo soy un Americano."

They liked that, and were like "Very good!" and started speaking a bit of Spanish to me, but it was too much and I had to tell them that.

They then asked about my father, and we had to figure out the Spanish word for "Hungarian".

I also asked for their help in how I ask for a cheap beer, and one said, "Que es la cerveza borrata?" (if I remember correctly), and the other said to try, "Qual es la cerveza que cuesta menos?".

Then, a bartender tried to get me another Miller Lite.  I had to beg off, saying I was meeting my Mexican friend for goat tacos and I didn't want to get too drunk, and then I said something (in Spanish) about how I liked goat, to their great delight.

At the next bar, a Mexican customer was talking with a Colombian bartender, and he got me 2 beers, I was having such a good time I stayed and accepted.

The bartender also gave me her Amway card.

Like a week later, I hit up a ton of Korean bars, and this one 23-year old quiet, self-identified Christian Korean student who had only been in the U.S. less than half a year did shots of Patron with me, at his expense at the bar of the karaoke lounge where he worked.

I'm not being any friendlier than I've ever been, but something has changed, I'm just really connecting with people a ton now.

No comments: