Friday, December 14, 2012

Apartment fire!

The other week I went to go set out some beans in a pot to soak at night, and when I moved them from the counter to put them on my couch (I have very little counter space), I noticed the pot slid funny, so after I set the pot on the couch, I wiped up the bit of water that was there.

The next morning, I put my coffee on, and put the pot of beans on the stove to boil.

In like 2 minutes, I smell this smell like plastic burning, and I look over and there's some flames and a bit of crackling coming from underneath the pot, so I run over and grab my mitts and pick it up, and there's a lid of tupperware sitting on the burner, burning, so I picked it up by the non-burning part and threw it into some water that was sitting in the sink.

In retrospect, I realize that the lid must have been on the counter, then water made it stick to the bottom of the pot, all the way through when I placed the pot on the couch, left it there overnight, and picked it up again and put it on the stove.

Thankfully the fire wasn't big, and thankfully I'll still be able to re-use the tupperware lid (only the top of the lid was burnt, and mildly so, and it still fits on my lunch container).

No comments: