Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Election Day (8 of 9): High pressure sell.

One (hispanic) guy with a beard who answered the door said he had just gotten back from work (it was around 1:30pm) and he'd eat and then "maybe" go vote.

I got him registration info, and was like, "So can we count on you to vote?", I was like, and he was like, "Probably," and I was like, "That's not good enough, can we count on you to vote?, I want to hear a yes," and at that he took abash, and so I started saying that the Republicans were taking away the votes of brown people in Florida and Ohio by turning them away illegally and people were waiting in lines for hours and hours, and so I asked him again if we could count on him to vote.

He said yes hesitantly, but he seemed more committed, and I asked him if he could commit to going after lunch like he had floated earlier, and he said he would, around 3pm, and he'd drive over.

They tell you in voter turnout training to push for a yes and then ask people to lock in when they'll vote and how they'll get there, but I've never really had to do that before with a noncommittal voter, and until then I had never thought that advice made much sense.

No comments: