Monday, November 12, 2012

Election Day (6 of 9): Getting new voters registered.

I triumphantly gave registration info to a handful of new voters, including these 4:

1) One (white) guy with a messy beard was walking across a street, so I greeted him like I do everyone I meet, and mentioned I was with the Obama campaign, and he said he'd vote for Obama because he's so glad to support an African-American president, but he couldn't vote.

"Why, have you commited a felony?", I was like, and he had, but I checked and he had been off probation for 7 years, and hadn't realized he could vote again.

Then we talked about forms of identification, and I called in to get his precinct, and amid all this I gradually realize that the guy is homeless.

I ended up giving him the number for a ride to the polls, shook his hand and told him I was glad he got the information to start voting again, and said bye.

He promised to vote, and was glad that Tammy Baldwin was committed to preserving Social Security and Medicare and other programs that folks need.

2) One (younger) (cleanly-dressed) (black) girl was walking by on the street and seemed a bit out of it, and I talked to her, and she said wasn't going to vote, but just me asking made her want to.

So, I started talking with her, and it also turned out she was homeless, and I got her the registration info so she could get registered to vote out of the day shelter that she lives at, and I also called in to figure out where her voting location was.

"Thank you so much," she was like.

"No, thank you for doing this," I was like, and gave her a hug.

3) At one house where there was an Obama sign in an upper window, there was a younger (hispanic-looking) guy going into the house, and so I checked up with him on registration, and it turns out he was 18 or 19 and he needed to double-check registration information.

After that, I noticed there was a newspaper image of Puerto Rican flag with something on it taped up in the window on the side door, so I asked him if his family was Puerto Rican, and he said yes.

"That's so cool, I was like.  Where's your family from there?  I have friends from Ponce and Mayaguez, and my friend from Ponce always talks to me about Puerto Rican culture and stuff."

"Arecibo," he was like.

"Isn't that in the mountains?", I was like.

"Not really," he said.

"Oh," I was like.  "But don't you have those little frogs there?"

"Coqui?", he was like, brightening, "Yeah!".

4) An older Mexican man answered the door at one place and seemed happy to see my Obama button, so I gave him the flier.

"?Puedes votar?", I was like.  "Desde ocho, aqui," and I pointed at the address.

He seemed confused.

"

No comments: